Thursday, April 14, 2011

ashes 2 ashes

"Ashes to Ashes"
I used to live in a crazy mansion on Scholls Canyon in Glendale CA.  This piece was done in there while I lived with a hot straight boy who as a total mess.  This piece  actually glows in the dark and its very eerie.  That entire house was eerie. Do you believe in ghosts? I do.  Anyway.. this picture meant a lot to me because it made me break into a new genre of my art comfort zone. It was the 1st painting of a face I ever did. This image came from the video directed by David Bowie and David Mallet from the 1980 Ashes to Ashes song for the album Scary Monsters (and super Creeps). Mr. Bowie said for this album he was:"wrapping up the seventies really for myself, and that seemed a good enough epitaph for it".  I find all of Mr. Bowie's material as the base of most of my inspiration.

 "Madonna's Head"
This piece was created on a 72'' x 43" window screen.  There was a lot of hand sewing involved.  I used wool and silk string.  There are more elements about 100 in total including contact lenses, drawings, feathers, buttons, jewels, plastics of all sorts, painted and printed transperancies, faux hair, there's even a knife.  I lived in this world for one night of nightmares, I woke up and created it.  The best part about this piece is that it was see-thru and the light made it change colors brilliantly.

"Heaven dances"
This was a gift I made for Ryan when he lived in the East coast.  This is an oil piece.  This was done while I was in a dark place in my life. I was sad Ryan was away and I lived w/this man who was very scary. I lived in Echo Park and I remember one of the only things that would give me hope was Madonna's Die Another Day video.  Hence the symbols at the bottom of the painting. They basically mean Lamed.Alef.Vav  self control, release from egotism, hypocrisy, enslavement to caprices, and the need to transcend others. This painting also reminds me of my dear and loved friend "Shmee" who died later that year.  This painting symbolizes heaven and hell, your dreams and the forms of many addictions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment